Applications for the Returners to Communications programme have now closed.
Have you taken a break from a career in communications or marketing and now interested in taking steps back towards returning to the industry? Perhaps you’ve been raising a family or had other caring responsibilities and would now like to explore new opportunities. You may have been freelancing informally in the interim and now looking to take steps back towards a more secure, long-term position.
The Returners to Communications programme aims to take at least ten returners through a programme of coaching, mentoring and work-based training. Delivered 100% online, we’ll work with each individual returner to create a custom career return plan and match with a mentor.
We have also partnered with the CIPR (Chartered Institute of Public Relations) to offer qualifying returners a complementary short-term membership, including access to CIPR learning and development materials.
Potential returnship specialisms include:
· Account management
· Agency operations
· Business development / proposal writing
· Design, creativity and AV content
· Digital marketing
· General marketing
· Planning and creativity
· Project and traffic management
· Publicity and media relations
· Social media management
The draft training plan (subject to change) is:
· Week 1 – skills and interests review, training plan agreed, project briefed and planned, what’s changed (and what hasn’t! – most things) introduction to MM comms wheel
· Week 2 – insights / digital and social media
· Week 3 –strategy / writing and editing
· Week 4 – reputation / media training
· Week 5 – planning / influencer relations
· Week 6 – capacity / personal career planning
· Week 7 – stakeholder management / media relations
· Week 8 – content creation / channels
· Week 9 – crisis management / employability and mindset
· Week 10 – measurement, ‘graduation’ celebration, permanent job offers where available, personal career plan agreed, signposting for other employment or training opportunities, references provided on request
Home schooling and family pressures
While we fully appreciate that there are additional pressures on families at the moment with home schooling and reduced childcare provision, we are very flexible in the delivery of the programme so urge any parents considering the opportunity to still put yourself forward and we can work around what suits you (e.g. evening or weekend working, or doing less than the advertised three days per week would both be possible).
· Must be based in Scotland (anywhere – home based position)
· Should be returning from a career break of at least 6 months, although some level of freelance or temporary work carried out in this time is permitted
· An idea candidate will have at least two years of previous experience working in a PR agency at mid-senior level or working in-house in communications, PR or marketing. Consideration will also be given to returners from other sectors with transferable skills, who are looking to access the communications industry, such as former journalists interested in a career transition to PR, or those with broader communications, media, content, audio visual or design experience
· Applicants must be able to start the programme on Monday 25th January, although we are flexible in the delivery and weekly hours – we’ll work with each individual to agree a work pattern that suits them